Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dear Santa...


One of my favorite parts about teaching is the holidays because the kids get so excited. The best part about teaching my students who have autism is it doesn't matter if I'm teaching 1st graders or now 5th graders, we always get to write Santa letters. I'm pretty sure all of my students still believe in Santa, which makes it so fun. The morning of our Christmas party all of my students insisted on writing a 2nd Santa letter. I didn't edit this little guys Santa letter. He came to me last year as a 4th grader not knowing all of his letters and sounds. I thought for sure they had put him in the wrong class because I had such high readers that year. It has been especially fun seeing him progress. His behavior has improved dramatically helping the academics to come along as well. He is so excited about learning to read and is now able to blend words. He has a hard time with his speech and pronouncing all of the letters correctly. My favorite part of the letter is the end "ruf Eric" that's probably exactly how he says it.
You are never too old to sit on Santa's lap.
Every year my dad gets to dress up in his Santa suite and give presents to my students as they sit on his lap.
I love this little boy
How cute is this teacher? I took this picture from Miss Sullivan's classroom two doors down from mine. She bought this tree with the help of her parents from The Festival of Trees a few years ago. The theme is "The Hungry Caterpillar" and the teacher leaves it in the corner of her classroom for her kids all December. She wraps up her Christmas books from home and lets a student unwrap the present each day and they read the book for their story time. I love this idea - I wrapped up my Christmas books for the last week before Christmas break.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

So cute Cass! I love that tree, it's amazing! I had the best time the other night. We need to do that ALL THE TIME.
love you :)

erin and shaun said...

I love the idea of wrapping up the Christmas books! That would have been so fun and I'm sure the kids love it.