Friday, November 11, 2011

Eliza Jane Cowley

Our little Eliza joined our family on 11/4/11. She arrived 3 weeks and 1 day before her due date. It all began at my 34.6 week Dr. appointment... we had another ultra sound, finding out Eliza was face down in her "launching position". We also found out that I was already dilated to a 1 and 70% effaced. I wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but was very excited about the idea of meeting our baby girl early. I texted Scott at work and got a quick call back, thinking those statistics meant she could come any day. The following week at my 35.6 appointment I had progressed to a 1.5 and 80% effaced. My Dr.'s closing words were "if you haven't had your baby by then I'll see you next Friday". The best part was that I hadn't been having any contractions! That news put us into high gear preparing for her arrival. We finally got the garage all cleared out, washed the rest of her clothes, and bought last minute newborn essentials. The following week was a crazy one at work. My last Parent Teacher Conferences, three IEP's, and Sub plans. I made sure to schedule my long term sub to come in and observe. The last two days before I gave birth I was working 13 hour days with parent conferences.

Friday morning around 5:30 am my water broke. I told scott "either my water just broke or I just peed my pants". It was perfect timing because I had the day off of work. I wasn't having many contractions so we were able to shower, eat breakfast, and pack our bags. I put Scott in charge of texting family members and taking notes on his phone of the timeline. We got to the hospital around 8:00 am. They have a paper strip that changes to a blue color if the fluid is actually amniotic fluid. At 10:00 am I was put on oxytocin to speed up the contractions. At 11:00 am my contractions began to get much stronger. 35 minutes later Dr. Rigby stopped by to see if I was ready for my epidural. Right as the Dr. was preparing my epidural my contractions became much more intense. They say I was given the "perfect epidural" because the contractions were no longer painful and I could still move myself from side to side. 12:15 I was already dilated to a 7. Things seemed to have gone a little too smoothly up until this point. We found out the baby was posterior with her face facing my belly button instead of my back. At 1:20 I was dilated to a 9- getting closer! The Dr. was able to turn the baby by her hand. She had me lie on one side and turn every 30 minutes to see if the baby would stay turned. 2:35 I was finally a 10, but the baby was still posterior. 3:05 Dr. Ponder tried to turn the baby again by her hand while I pushed. When I began pushing I had no idea what I was doing. Unfortunately I had more practice pushing than I would have liked. We took a rest to see if the baby would descend farther down. Our nurse was awesome. I never realized how much work the nurses go to. It was my great grandpa Clarences birthday and kept hoping for some divine intervention during the pushing. 7:19 we could see the top of the babies head. We never did get Eliza to face the correct position, which would have allowed me to push her head out from the narrowest direction. Instead I pushed her out sideways (the widest angle of the head). We finally met our beautiful baby girl at 7:40 pm. What a relief to have her out safely. I had some very sore arms and abs the next day. Eliza's left eye and head had taken quite the beating and were a little swollen. She weighed 7.09 pounds and 19 1/2 inches with lots of dark hair (Scott and I were both bald babies).

We feel very blessed to get to be Eliza's parents. Having a new baby around the house feels like "christmas morning" every day. We love to cuddle her and watch all of her sweet expressions. We were lucky Scott got 10 days off work giving us special time to enjoy our new family. They say jaundice makes babies sleepier. Eliza dosen't cry during the day or night to tell us she is hungry. We have to wake her up to eat.We are still working on nursing. Every once in a while I get glimpses of hope when she'll nurse well. My mom bought me a double electric pump. She does however take a bottle extremely well, which we giver her after attempting nursing and having her become very upset. Although I'm on maternity leave right now I quit my job and am so excited to be able to stay home with Eliza. She has added so much purpose to our lives. We couldn't love her any more!
Our first family picture
Eliza's first bath


Going home outfit
Leaving the hospital
(we refer to Eliza as Houdini because she can always find a way to sneak her arms out of any swaddle)

Eliza spent 6 days on the bilibed due to the excess blood in her head caused by her traumatic entrance. The swelling in her head went down fairly quick, but her biliruben levels continued to increase. She was monitored every 6 hours at the hospital beginning on Saturday. The hospital was not very gentle about drawing her blood. They would clip her heel and then squeeze, gathering one drop at a time. During this, Eliza is screaming and kicking, getting blood on both feet. Poor Eliza wears the scars of many heel clippings. Luckily, she didn't seem to mind the bilibed. Her levels weren't severe enough requiring top and bottom lights with the dreaded eye mask. The warm bed put her right to sleep. We were ecstatic when we were able to get rid of the bed and spend more quality time snuggling with our little baby.
We love all of Eliza's faces...
she loves to raise her eye brows
she puckers her lips when she doesn't want anymore milk

there goes her arm sneaking out again. Perhaps she'll make a great student one day since she already know how to raise her hand and wait to be called on.
Eliza loves to snuggle with her dad

12 comments:

Danny and Becky DuPaix said...

yAY! I've been waiting for this post! I remember it's always so hard to try and sit down and blog about this exciting event when you have a newborn. We are so thrilled that everything went fairly well for you guys! Eliza is the cutest little girl, I miss her already!
-So funny because Danny totally wore that same "utah rugby" shirt when we had Lyla, it must be good luck!
-I'm glad you are still trying nursing and also glad you got a good pump for back up. That can be so stressful, so hang in there!
-I'm also glad her jaundice is better and I know how hard it is as a parent to watch them poke their heal and squeeze their blood out. When Judd had to do that I teared up.
we are so happy for all of you! You are amazing parents! What a precious little girl. Love you guys!
ps- now I'm going to have to come to your house to watch the bachelor, I don't think the boys will mind "getting out of it". It starts up again in January!!!

Kurt and Michelle said...

She is so so beautiful you guys, I hope we can meet her in person soon!! Congratulations! Our Allie was also posterior it made for a bit of a long recovery, coming out sideways does not feel so good:)

Jodi said...

congrats cass and scott! look at all that hair!

Carly Helm said...

She is so beautiful! Congratulations! We wish you all the best!

erin and shaun said...

Wow! I had no idea you were pushing for so long! You must have been completely exhausted! And then to have her come out sideways too?! Hope you are recovering well! I thought it was pretty rough and it sounds like you had a harder time than I did!

ls said...

she is so beautiful, cass! i am sorry she had such a hard time getting here, but such a blessing that she is so healthy. and 3 weeks early-- how lucky are you?!

good luck with nursing. it truly is so worth it to keep plugging through. the first few weeks are the hardest, and then it will get easier and you will be so glad that you stuck with it. don't stress yourself out or put too much pressure on yourself though. you will be able to figure out what is best for both you and your sweet girl.

Parents with Triplets said...

I am so happy for you Cassidy and your sweet baby girl! I love the name Eliza Jane so cute!!

The Butlers said...

Congratulations! We will need to plan play dates for our babies!

Melissa said...

Oh Cass! She is simply perfect! Seriously, what a beauty! I love all her dark hair. She is so amazing. Don't get discouraged with the nursing. Seriously, I remember some days just crying because it can be so hard to get the hang of (both for you and the baby), but it is SO worth it. Well done on the cutie! Hope you are getting some sleep :)

Racher said...

Cassidy, I somehow missed this and didn't realized that Eliza had already arrived! Congratulations...I am sooo thrilled for you! She is beautiful and your whole life will be sweeter from now on. good job Cass! I pushed my baby out sideways too, we are hardcore.I like that we have that in common. I miss you...I remember how sweet you were with the kids in Iasi and I'm so, so glad for your little girl to have that same goodness you gave them!

kachers said...

she is so PERFECT Cass! CONGRATS on your BEAUTIFUL little princess!

Kelsey said...

Cass, you're a trooper! She is so cute. Jaundice is the worst. Cole had it forever and I would just cry and cry :( That is no fun. I'm sure you are the cutest mom ever.