Eliza's 3rd month of life was my favorite for many reasons, but mostly because it took two months for me to adjust to motherhood and know what to expect. I started getting out of bed as early as 8:00 to get ready. Felt well enough to exercise, not just walks with the baby. All my jeans fit again! Scheduled weekly play dates. Eliza mostly sleeps through play group right now, but I crave the socializing. I discovered the morning nap. How did I not know about this before? Oh, because I was enjoying a morning nap with her.

During month 3...
Is still as cute and petite as ever
Eliza rolled from her stomach to her back for the first time ONCE and only ONCE
She can go 6 hours between feedings at night
Mostly pooped once a week. We called it poop Tuesday.
Discovered her hands
Is still our snuggler and sleeps so much better while being held
At 9 weeks Eliza began nursing.
At 10 weeks it wasn't quite so painful.
I consider this nothing short of a miracle and answer to prayers. I would try to nurse for hours at night only to get a screaming/crying/lip quivering baby. I would start crying myself at that point. The pump became my best friend. When Eliza was a few weeks old I had a lactation specialist come to my house. She said it was very obvious that Eliza was tongue tied, which is a genetic disorder and runs in families. Scott's sister had her tongue clipped when she was much older. The lactation specialist thought Eliza was phase 3 (there are four phases) and that pediatricians only recognize the more severe phase 1 and 2. She also said that people don't always associate problems with nursing to being tongue tied. {disclaimer: we have heard lactation specialist can be tongue tied happy} I felt relieved there was some explanation why I couldn't get nursing down. We decided to get a 2nd opinion from a good neighbor. He said Eliza's frenulum was in the average range and did not recommend doing an unnecessary procedure on someone so little. We listened to his advice and will keep and eye on her tongue as she get older. At the hospital I was told the 3 P's of nursing
PRACTICE, PATIENCE, and PERSEVERANCE
for me the key was not giving up or getting discouraged. It is nice to tote around one less bag and also wonderful that our baby can take a bottle and nurse.
We sure love having this little pumpkin in our family!
3 comments:
Poor little dear... I know how emotional it can be with nursing. Grady was tongue tied as well, but we didn't realize it until he was about six months old. We did end up getting it snipped, and I am so glad we did! Looks like she is healthy and happy, and that is all that matters! Good luck with everything momma! You are doing great! ps... cute onesie! :)
she is so darling. so glad everything is working out for you all!
SO glad she is nursing well now and SO sorry it took so long! You deserve a medal for sticking with it!
Post a Comment