Saturday, July 23, 2011

GIRLS CAMP


Girls Camp this year was an adventure...

We found out the Sunday before camp that one of our camp leader, and also one of my favorite friends, wouldn't be able to make it due to health reasons. I admire her courage and attitude as she faces her incredible challenges.

Besides being my close friend, she is also a master of the dutch oven, the crafting queen, woke the girls up in the morning, the life of the party, and an avid camper.

I'm not sure I got much sleep the night before camp. I had anxieties about two non-campers being the leaders. I learned I needed to have faith that everything would work out. The first thing I did was simplify the camp menu. Instead of dutch oven lasagna we made pasta. Instead of cooking dutch oven BBQ chicken and cheese spuds for the bishopric dinner, the bishop offered to bring up pizza and we threw together a Caesar salad. The priesthood leaders up at camp must have recognized I was the weakest link. Everyday we had a kind sir cutting our fire wood and making sure we had a fire started. Amy, the other camp leader and I were very proud when we figured out the camp stove. Amy was a great example to me of someone who has the pure love of Christ and never spoke anything unkind about the girls.

*I always leave camp with stronger relationships with the girls
*D.E.A.R. Drop everything and read the scriptures for 30 minutes. The girls had age group assigned reading with a stake leader.
*I was given more informal opportunities to answer basic gospel questions after the DEAR time and bear my testimony than all of our YW lessons throughout the year.
*We planted pine trees for our service project. The girls are looking forward to checking on their pine trees next year.
*We covered mini book of mormons in scrapbook paper for our craft.
*Roasting marshmallows are the fire, seeing the stars, enjoying nature, and having a break from technology.
*Ward Testimony meeting is always the best part of camp. Our camp size doubled for the night with YW leaders, another girl, and our priesthood leaders. All of the girls are on the right path to developing stronger testimonies.

2 comments:

Danny and Becky DuPaix said...

Wow cass, as I was looking at your pictures- before even reading- I was thinking, how the heck does he know how to build a fire and 'rough it'? I wouldn't have a clue. I'm so sorry your leader couldn't make it but you were lead by the spirit. You are so strong and in tune. I admire you! Anyway, when the freak are we gonna get together? I think you've forgotten about us;) jk. Miss ya guys

Elizabeth Tea said...

Way to go Cass! You are amazing! I'm sure it was a great experience for your girls. A good way to leave the ward!